Salmon are a rich source of omega-3 | Photo credit: Pixabay
- Animal foods are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids
- The Mediterranean diet is a type of diet that is high in omega-3 fatty acids
- There are several proven health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
New Delhi: Several nutrients contribute to the healthy well-being of the human body. A lack of nutrients can lead to the development of diseases and health conditions. Omega 3 is one such nutrient that is extremely important for the body. You can meet your omega-3 needs from both animal and plant-based foods. Some animal sources of omega-3 are anchovies, sardines, oysters, tuna, and herring. Some vegetable sources of omega-3 are walnuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, and soybeans. What is Omega 3 and what makes it so special?
Bone Health and Omega 3
Bones play an important role in everyone’s life span. It helps in structuring and moving the human body. It also helps protect the internal organs, so a healthy skeletal system is important to maintain a smooth lifestyle. Consuming omega 3 can help improve bone health and reduce the risk of conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis. Several studies can support this, for example a study published in PubMed Central entitled “Calcium, Gamma Linolenic Acid, and Eicosapentaenoic Acid Supplementation in Senile Osteoporosis”.
Health Benefits of Omega 3
Some incredible health benefits of Omega 3 are as follows:
- Heart healthy: According to an article published in the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism entitled “One Fish a Day Keeps the Cardiologist Away! – A Review of the Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on the Cardiovascular System”, omega-3 can improve heart health immensely . It also works against inflammation, which is one of the causes of stroke and cardiovascular disease.
- Promotes brain health: Any dysfunction in the human brain can lead to dysfunction throughout the body. Omega 3 can help improve brain health by improving mood and reducing stress and depression. Additionally, it can help slow down cognitive decline, which is the main reason behind developing conditions like Alzheimer’s.
- Improves skin and hair: Daily pollution and stress make it difficult to take care of your hair and skin. However, omega-3 fatty acids can help improve the health of hair and skin, making them glowing and healthy. According to a publication in “Marine Medicines Named Cosmetic and Therapeutic Uses of Fish Oil Fatty Acids on Skin,” it was found that fish oils, which are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, can improve skin and hair health.
- Healthy eye: The human eye is the window to the outside world and must be preserved. Omega 3 can help prevent the development of eye diseases such as blurred vision and blindness by preventing macular degeneration.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Persistent inflammation, also known as chronic inflammation in the body, can lead to the development of various diseases. Several studies can support this, for example a study published in PubMed Central entitled “Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Inflammation and Autoimmune Diseases”.
Supplements against natural sources
The availability of omega-3 supplements in the market is just as important as the availability of natural sources of omega-3. Fish is one of the most common sources and may not be a choice for vegetarians, vegans, and people with fish allergies. Compensating for needs with supplements is not a wrong choice. However, choosing the right supplement is important to avoid health effects. The wrong omega-3 supplementation and dosage can lead to increased cholesterol levels and the risk of cardiovascular disease. Make sure to consult a doctor before starting any omega-3 supplements.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions in the article are for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or nutritionist before starting any fitness program or making changes to your diet.